[MUD-Dev2] Austin GDC meet: Web 2.0 and Games

Bristle bristle2008 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 11:07:01 CEST 2007

Adam Martin said:
> For anyone going to AGDC, a couple of us are going to get together and
> chat about the head-on-collision between games and Web 2.0. Come along
> and see if you can outdo everyone else by picking an even larger
> number and sticking it on the end of a word (why stop at Games 3.0?
> Let's go to a hundred!).

Web 2.0 is an interesting concept if you step up a notch from forums and
IRC chat.  With a little bit of squinting, you will see a backwards mud
since the goal is to 1) provide a rich-media environment and 2)
real-time multiuser interaction.

Actually text-based muds fit nicely into the Web 2.0 model. It's time to
kick out IRC and put muds in.  3D could still be a problem - look at
VRML 1.0, 2.0, 3Dweb for a history of that.

The old argument was that people would only use one web browser and this
is still true. But IRC is done with a Java client that is a plugin. This
is the time to really push on a great java-based mud client. I mean a
nice clean client, not like the ugh thing that Yahoo puts out.