[DGD] Re: LPC repository

Jason Cone jcone at tamu.edu
Fri Dec 12 06:45:23 CET 1997

>> I would love such a thing. I have a hard time finding *any* info about
>> DGD on the net, except for what is published on this list.
>
>Maybe it should be combined with a small informative web-site, then.
>Some sort of FAQ. I don't think Dworkin has any interest in doing this
>at the moment. I suppose I could put together something simple.
>
>The repository could be accessed from the same web-site.

I think this could be an incredibly good thing, myself.  It's my opinion
that more people aren't using DGD (and related code) because of the lack of
documentation and/or available code bases.

I myself have been working on a public-domain MUDlib for DGD for the last
8-10 months.  While the core functionality is there, there's still much to
be cleaned up/added.  I also considered devoting a website to all things
DGD.  I kind of tossed around the idea with a few people that had existing
web sites with info on DGD, but failed to get an enthusiastic response.  I
still think a resource like that could prove to be invaluable so long as
it's kept up-to-date and is dedicated to quality both in design and
appearance with respect to the code and other content that it makes
available.

>Hm. I seem to recall Abigail making something of a DGD FAQ, a long time
>ago. Perhaps she dropped the project. I can't seem to find it through
>Altavista. Does anybody know anything about this?

No, I don't.  I know I've spent many an hour searching for things related to
DGD on the web but to no avail. :)  I'd love to see something become highly
visible and constantly available.

>I am personally of the opinion that when it comes to LPC code, the more
>is generally the merrier. Who else works on code that they would not
>mind sharing?

Like I said, I fully intend to release every ounce of code that I've
written, but it's not to the point that I feel totally comfortable with it
being used by others (MAJOR lack of documentation). ;)  Until then, I
totally wouldn't mind providing code snippets for task-specific scenarios.

Anyway, all that to say - I wouldn't mind helping out with all the
aforementioned ideas, but I also realize that it's going to take more than 1
person.  I guess if I had to make a list of things I'd like to see
accomplished, here's what I would put down:

1) DGD FAQ (updated regularly, distributed periodically on this mailing
list, and made
available online.

2) A web site devoted to all things DGD.  We could combine information as
well as code here to lessen the number of sites (from 2 to 1, but still a
reduction ;) in need of constant updates.

3) This is wishfull thinking, but I'd also like to see a combined effort to
develop a lib that could be considered the LIMA of DGD. *chuckle*  Not to
boast, but I've a good start.  I can't do it by myself and I fully realize
that there's probably some stuff that can be done a ton better (some of
which may have been done already and just not known about).

Anyway, let's pursue this.  I think it's overdue and could really prove to
be a good thing. :)

Regards,

Jason Cone

PS - I guess this is more directed at Erlend, but I might as well include it
here as it kind of fits the theme.  Would you rather I go ahead and finish
the DGD/Intermud-3 interface altogether (all/most of the services completed)
and make it available then?  Or would you rather I make that specific part
available (converting the data types into sendable packets)?

||==================================================================||
||                         ||  "Hard work spotlights the character  ||
|| Jason H. Cone           ||   of people:  some turn up their      ||
|| Dept. Computer Science  ||   sleeves, some turn up their noses,  ||
|| Texas A&M University    ||   and some don't turn up at all."     ||
|| jcone at cs.tamu.edu       ||             - Sam Ewing               ||
||                   JUST        TRI          IT                    ||