[DGD] Re: LPC repository

Erlend Simonsen erlesimo at online.no
Fri Dec 12 13:52:10 CET 1997

"Jason Cone" <jcone at tamu.edu> writes:

> I think this could be an incredibly good thing, myself.  It's my opinion
> that more people aren't using DGD (and related code) because of the lack of
> documentation and/or available code bases.

I have to agree on that. The only thing I have been able to find is
the kernel lib distributed with the driver, and Melville. And that
isn't too much.

> I myself have been working on a public-domain MUDlib for DGD for the last
> 8-10 months.  While the core functionality is there, there's still much to
> be cleaned up/added.  I also considered devoting a website to all things

Woo! Woo! Isn't that always the case? :-)

> DGD.  I kind of tossed around the idea with a few people that had existing
> web sites with info on DGD, but failed to get an enthusiastic response.  I
> still think a resource like that could prove to be invaluable so long as
> it's kept up-to-date and is dedicated to quality both in design and
> appearance with respect to the code and other content that it makes
> available.

Sounds like a good idea. The one DGD site I was able to find on the
net was horrendously outdated, and couldn't give any useful
information at all.

> No, I don't.  I know I've spent many an hour searching for things related to
> DGD on the web but to no avail. :)  I'd love to see something become highly
> visible and constantly available.

Hear, hear! There is almost no information on DGD out on the net. I
have gotten a lot of help from DGD people by mailing them, but there
isn't any *public* information which can be used.

> Like I said, I fully intend to release every ounce of code that I've
> written, but it's not to the point that I feel totally comfortable with it
> being used by others (MAJOR lack of documentation). ;)  Until then, I
> totally wouldn't mind providing code snippets for task-specific scenarios.

That sounds like a good idea. Any idea on when your lib will be
available then? I find that reading existing sourcecode has been my
best source of information, but since there isn't that much DGD
specific source publically available, I've had some wierd problems
from time to time which could have been avoided.

> Anyway, all that to say - I wouldn't mind helping out with all the
> aforementioned ideas, but I also realize that it's going to take more than 1
> person.  I guess if I had to make a list of things I'd like to see
> accomplished, here's what I would put down:

I would love to help out as well.

> 3) This is wishfull thinking, but I'd also like to see a combined effort to
> develop a lib that could be considered the LIMA of DGD. *chuckle*  Not to
> boast, but I've a good start.  I can't do it by myself and I fully realize
> that there's probably some stuff that can be done a ton better (some of
> which may have been done already and just not known about).

Now, that is one BIG longterm project. :-) I'm in, if there ever
should be such a thing. :-)

Is your lib on the net, so that it's possible for me to look at it?
I'd love to see some DGD based mudlibs. Other than Melville. :-)

> Anyway, let's pursue this.  I think it's overdue and could really prove to
> be a good thing. :)

It's about time. And it would probably make some more people choose
DGD over MudOS.

> PS - I guess this is more directed at Erlend, but I might as well include it
> here as it kind of fits the theme.  Would you rather I go ahead and finish
> the DGD/Intermud-3 interface altogether (all/most of the services completed)
> and make it available then?  Or would you rather I make that specific part
> available (converting the data types into sendable packets)?

I think the best thing is getting the base functionality of Intermud-3
out since a lot of the services have to be recoded anyways because of
lib specific implementations of the different things needed.

Let's just hope this doesn't die out in a week, and it actually
produces some output of some kind.
--
Erlend Simonsen
erlesimo at online.no