[DGD] Re: LPC repository

Claus Draeby claus at harpo.ma.adfa.oz.au
Mon Dec 15 15:08:30 CET 1997

Hi.

I find Zellski's idea of a repository great.

> [...]
>
> I am personally of the opinion that when it comes to LPC code, the more
> is generally the merrier. Who else works on code that they would not
> mind sharing?

I am currently porting some rather old ( <= 1994 ) code for the Flat
Earth MUD lib to DGD, and this at least contains some morsels that I
think would be interesting. However, I have made some alterations to
DGD to get it to work, most remarkly I have made (int)0 a true neutral
element for plus, thus ensuring that:
	0 + x = x + 0 = x,
regardless of the type of x. I think I will supply this as a package
one day, but I have not talked it over with Dworkin yet. However it
get rid of constructs like this
	mapping m;
	if (m["whatever"])
		m["whatever'] += ({ "another whatever" });
	else
		m["whatever'] = ({ "another whatever" });
which in my DGD can be stated simply as:
	m["whatever'] += ({ "another whatever" });

Apart from that, the lib is pretty large with some very nice ideas
about automatic handling of balance through use of mathematically
developed monster/equipment accessment methods.

And it contains the only worthwhile roommaker that I have ever come
across. This one lets you add all the special coding you want, and
still allows you to manage exits, descriptions, and standard contents
with the roommaker. It draws dungeon maps as well.

The lib used to run on a CD driver, I think, but we just kept running
into trouble (and out of spare time) and hence the project was
dropped. However I am now enjoying a nine month sabbathical on a
generous scholarship, and hence I have found some long dark summer
evenings in Australia, where I have done the porting. However, there
are still a lot of porting to do. For one there lacks some replacement
of parse_command, where I am awaiting parse_string, I think. This more
or less disables all the commands, but who needs them anyway.

Yet, if anyone are interested, I gladly submit it to the repository.

Azhrarn, Night's Master.