[DGD] Re: LPC repository

Andrew C.M. McClintock andrewm at tiger.hsc.edu
Fri Dec 12 18:20:35 CET 1997

>Hi,
>
>For one thing it would be good for dgd to have some ready to run mudlibs to
>show the sheer power of dgd. Ok, i know all of you are working on your own
>libs, but dgd without a good mudlib is like buying a ferrari in parts.
>before having the feel of it (read : evaluating it) you have to go through
>assembling parts first.

I have been following DGD for a while now, but have never actually done
anything with it (other than download it a few times and give up for lack
of documentation); I am interested in what DGD has to offer over MudOS. I
am not trying to start any flame wars, etc: I'm merely interested in what
people think are valid reasons to choose DGD over MudOS. The things I can
come up with (from my limited knowledge) are that DGD uses less memory because
it is disk-based, and the ability to save state over boots. MudOS has the
benefits of being fast (is DGD faster? I have no idea, does anyone have
benchmarks?), a fairly large set of efuns and support packages, and is
documented. I am guessing that the disk-based implementation of DDG might
be a double-edged sword, because constant disk access would slow things
down (of course I have no proof, I just know that constant disk access
using MudOS slows things down because every access locks it up). I would
appreciate any discussion that would be pertinent to my questions, thanks!
-Andrew