[DGD] Re: A strange problem.

Torbj|rn Andersson d91tan at update.uu.se
Sat Jan 10 22:35:22 CET 1998

> 3) Mobile monsters wheter instructed to move at reset or at heartbeat will
> not move at all, untill they have been killed once and reloaded. They can
> not even be forced to move via the wizard command. Clone monsters can
> never move that is if a wizard clones /obj/orc.c and kills and reclones
> the orc still refuses to move. THe monster died function also seems
> completele nonfunctional.

I don't know much about the DGD 2.4.5 port, and I cannot guarantee
that there are no errors in DGD itself, but I have some experience of
running the 2.4.5 mudlib, and to me it sounds like the problems could
be purely mudlib related. The first problem sounds a lot like what
will happen when a room is written like this:

  reset (arg)
  {
    /* Monster is (re)created here on every reset. */

    if (arg)
      return;

    /* Room is configured here on first reset only. */
  }

The problem here would be that when the room is first loaded, the
monster is moved to the room - causing init() to be called - while the
room still doesn't have any exits. The proper way to write it would,
of course, be:

  reset (arg)
  {
    if (!arg)
      {
        /* Room is configured here on first reset only. */
      }

    /* Monster is (re)created here on every reset. */
  }

As for the second part of the problem... a wild guess, but is the
monster properly marked as "living", i.e. does it call the
enable_commands() efun? The usual way to do this in the vanilla 2.4.5
mudlib was to call the original reset() function from the redefined
one.

> 2) Occasionally a player will suddenly be unable to drop anything. While
> in another session the same player with identical inventory will have no
> troubles. No mesage is given at all.

Impossible (at least for me) to say without knowing more about the
situation.

My apologies if I was stating the obvious. Anyway, I realize this is
getting off-topic, so feel free to write a personal reply if anything
was unclear to either of us.

     _
Torbjorn Andersson