[DGD] DGD, errors and an Amiga

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu May 28 20:16:24 CEST 1998

Ling <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk>

> I'm using dgd on the Amiga and I realise there are two versions of dgd out
> there for it.  One requires i'net hardware I don't have and the
> other is Lars' dgd 0.9 (thereabouts).

What you should be using is

    ftp://ftp.imaginary.com/pub/LPC/servers/DGD/amiga/dgd-1_1p5.lha

It does not require any internet hardware, but you may need to install
some other software first.

The other one would be DGD 1.0.9 or 1.0.9.1, ported to Amiga by Lars
Duening.  It is more than 2 years old, unfortunately.

> I tried using the later with
> Melville 0.8 but the process keeps crashing.  Is this something to do with
> the way dgd handles errors?  I've got a copy of dgd running on a linux box
> and I notice it produces cores quite regularly...  I'm not quite
> knowledgable about linux systems so I'm assuming that linux somehow cores
> then does a funky recovery during an error whereas the Amiga process just
> dies.  Am I correct?  (all I'd like is a current version of dgd running at
> home)

I can't say anything about the old Amiga port, but the Linux version of
DGD definitely does not recover from any core-dumping crashes.  Either
the mud is restarted without you noticing, or the cores are created by
some other process.

Note that bugs in the stable version of DGD (1.1p5) that have the
potential of crashing the server are found at a rate of about one every
six months, and that patches tend to be released quickly.  This suggests
that the crashes you are encountering are due to misconfiguration.  In
particular, check that the path for the swapfile exists and is accessible.