[DGD] Re: DGD, errors and an Amiga

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Thu May 28 20:28:00 CEST 1998

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> Ling <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk>
>
> What you should be using is
>
>     ftp://ftp.imaginary.com/pub/LPC/servers/DGD/amiga/dgd-1_1p5.lha
>
> It does not require any internet hardware, but you may need to install
> some other software first.

Hrm, I thought the other software required the use of additional hardware.
It's too late now coz... see below...

> The other one would be DGD 1.0.9 or 1.0.9.1, ported to Amiga by Lars
> Duening.  It is more than 2 years old, unfortunately.
>
> > I tried using the later with
> > Melville 0.8 but the process keeps crashing.  Is this something to do with
> > the way dgd handles errors?  I've got a copy of dgd running on a linux box
> > and I notice it produces cores quite regularly...  I'm not quite
> > knowledgable about linux systems so I'm assuming that linux somehow cores
> > then does a funky recovery during an error whereas the Amiga process just
> > dies.  Am I correct?  (all I'd like is a current version of dgd running at
> > home)
>
> I can't say anything about the old Amiga port, but the Linux version of
> DGD definitely does not recover from any core-dumping crashes.  Either
> the mud is restarted without you noticing, or the cores are created by
> some other process.

It might be the latter on the linux box but I have no other processes
running...  Doesn't seem to have happened recently, despite the machine
being loaded ridiculously (ran out of virtual mem).

For the Amiga, I figured it out.  It tends to crash horribly if there was
either bug in driver.c or auto.c.  Once in, it works like a treat. :)  In
any case, I've managed to compile the current stable version of DGD using
some Amiga specific files from that rather old port by Lars Duening.  So
now I have an unsupported binary, er, shalln't go around asking questions
like this again.

> Note that bugs in the stable version of DGD (1.1p5) that have the
> potential of crashing the server are found at a rate of about one every
> six months, and that patches tend to be released quickly.  This suggests
> that the crashes you are encountering are due to misconfiguration.  In
> particular, check that the path for the swapfile exists and is accessible.

Hrm, good point, don't think my swapfile exists. :)

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org