[DGD] Re: Adding ANSI to Win32

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Sep 1 05:59:18 CEST 1998

> When I attempt to run it.. it says: Gethostbyname: Not owner.
> I've tried the squirrel method on this problem *Trying every combination of
> the directions I can think of* to no result :(

DESCRIPTION
     The gethostbyname(), gethostbyname2() and gethostbyaddr() functions each
     return a pointer to an object with the following structure describing an
     internet host referenced by name or by address, respectively.  This
     structure contains either the information obtained from the name server,
     named(8),  or broken-out fields from a line in /etc/hosts. If the local
     name server is not running these routines do a lookup in /etc/hosts.

Given this description, have you got DNS configured (appropriately) on your
Win95 box?  If not then its going to look in /etc/hosts which isn't going
to be there (hence the error message presumably).  If for some reason you
can't set DNS up you could try creating a dummy /etc/hosts file and see
if that fixes things.

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide