[DGD] Re: FTP

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Sep 10 12:34:19 CEST 1998

Scott Maasen wrote:

[snippage]

> While the binary
> port could be used for FTP.. I'd think the availibility of outside ftp
> servers would make the design of one inside the mud not practical unless
> someone has a real wierd platform.

I'm not sure about being impractical.  It just takes a reasonable knowledge
of the ftp protocol :).  The networking package is more suited to such an
application than the binary port I would have thought.

There are a few advantages to having your ftpd internal to the mud.  Off the
top of my head:

1) Mudlib file security can be easily applied to ftp sessions.
2) Your ftpd works on any platform dgd works on.

The main disadvantages are probably:

1) Having to roll your own ftpd.
2) Large file transfers affecting mud performance.

It might be nice to see a set of network tools that sat on top of the
networking package to address people having to roll their own versions of
everything.  Something like the ORONetComponents for Java (although I haven't
looked at them too hard I'll admit, but they sound nice :).

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide