[DGD] Re: PASV mode and ports for ftp server

Tim Blommerde T.Blommerde at et.tudelft.nl
Sat Sep 12 13:06:59 CEST 1998

Greetings Wim and all interested readers,

>Hi,
>
>I guess you still have to read the rfc more carefully. Ftp has one port it
>listens to for commands and which can accept as much connections as your
>computer can supply. The other connection's port number depends on wether
>you use PASV mode or normal mode. In normal mode the client supports a port
>number the server connects to. In PASV mode it's the other way round and
the
>server starts listening to a port for incoming data connections.

Well, I guess I stated my questions a bit wrong.  I knew this (Tim likes his
Internet Protocols handbook), but default the data connection is established
on data port 20.  And indeed the PORT and PASV commands are used to change
from this default.  What I wanted to know if people would rather like
another default, namely indeed the passive mode, or even if people are
really short on ports, if they would like to see the ftp server handle
requests on the same port as the port they use to login.  I'm not 100% sure
if the latter would be possible, without hacking the system too much and
paying with performance loss and security problems, but if people would like
that, I'd give it a try.

>-----------
>Wim van der Vegt
>
>Btw i'll e-mail you my ftp server so you can have a look at it. It supports
>most commands and already contains all the response messages and code to
>handle the possible returns codes etc. It will save you a lot of typing i
>guess.

That would be greatly appreciated.  I'm looking forward to it.  If there's
anything missing or you'd like to have additions to it and don't feel like
writing them yourself atm, I'd be really honoured to help out.  I've kept
this weekend free to try and do something for the dgd community and a good
ftp server was the goal.  If I, in anyway, can do something else for dgd,
please, do ask and I'll see what I can do (shutting up and stop spamming the
dgd mailing list is ofcourse one of the options *blush*).  Though I fear I'm
not an experienced dgd coder, I am familiar with LPC and hope to increase my
dgd coding capabilities to a reasonable level.

Thanks for the quick reply and hope to hear from you soon,
Tim