[DGD]Strange call_other behaviour

harte at xs4all.nl harte at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 1 23:04:36 CET 1999

Quoting your message from  1 Jan:

| Hhm.. I seem to have stumbled upon something that _might_ be a bug in
| call_other or some other part of the driver.. at least in DGD version 1.1
|
| I could reproduce my problem with the following piece of code:
|
| call_other("/obj/player","???");
|
| Essentially, the first argument is the filename of an existing object and
| the second is a nonexistant function name. The problem is that the return
| value isn't integer 0 (as would be expected), but rather a value like
| 1075192868. This problem doesn't occur when the first argument is an
| object.
|
| I'm not entirely sure what is causing this.. it may have to do with
| (minor) changes I have made in my version or perhaps it is a bug that
| has thus far gone unnoticed (this seems very unlikely, though).
|
| Has anybody else encountered this problem??

I tried to reproduce your claim but failed.  Could you give an exact
description of the DGD version you are using and any patches you've
applied to it?  Can you also reproduce this behaviour in a standard DGD
1.1 setup with for instance the kernel-lib that goes along with it?

Have you redefined call_other() anywhere, in the auto-object or in any
of the inheriting programs where the call_other() code is placed?

The '1075192868' value that you mention, is it different each time or
do you see a regular pattern in the values that the code returns?

Hope this gives you some pointers to look for a cause, or for us to
point out (not so) obvious mistakes. :-)

Erwin.