[DGD]1.1.53

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Mar 24 01:36:30 CET 1999

Geir Harald Hansen <geirhans at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> > The kernel lib doesn't really support the networking package at
> > all.  It supports the ichat version of DGD, which has functionality
> > which is similar to, but not quite the same as the networking
> > package.  It is up to the networking package to patch the kernel
> > lib.
>
> Oh no. More patching.  And I thought the kernel lib supported the
> networking package.  It seemed to run fine with it, though simple telnet
> connections were all I did.
>
> Any chance the kernel lib with support the networking package?

No.

> Any chance the package will support the kernel? (maintainer?)

I think so.

> Maybe the easiest thing is to make the networking package
> work the same as the ichat networking.

It's not that easy.  The ichat version is proprietary code that I
cannot release, unfortunately.

> [...]
> > Which is indeed what the kernel lib intends to provide.  It is not
> > written with the networking package in mind, though.
>
> The networking package is very useful and as far as I can tell, very
> popular.  Why not support it?  Both kernel library and networking
> package are great..  Why can't I have both? ;)

You can probably have both, you just won't get the latter from me.

The way I see it, that the networking package does not include the
patch for the kernel lib is a bug; that the networking package doesn't
work immediately with recent DGD versions is just maintenance lag.
Both these issues will eventually be addressed by the maintainer.
If anyone is of the opinion that it is taking too long, I would
invite you to make your own changes and post them on this list.