[DGD]DGD Install Problems

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Sep 3 18:33:03 CEST 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Matt Adkisson wrote:

> I'm running into a bit of trouble installing DGD on my
> system.
>
> I downloaded the latest release of DGD (1-1) from the
> lysator ftp site, and unzipped it onto my linux box,
> which is running standard RH 5.2.

You might also want to apply the latest patches.  The best site for the
stable release of DGD is ftp://ftp.imaginary.com/pub/LPC/servers/DGD/

> I couldn't find any installation documents or guides,
> so I just bruised my way through...

Check out dgd/doc/Platforms.

> I switched to the src directory and ran Makefile.  It
> went through a list of things, seeming to compile most
> of the files (producing relevent binary files).
>
> So everything was going smoothly until
>
> gcc -I. -I.. -DNETBSD  -g -DDEBUG   -c random.c -o
> random.o
> random.c:3: conflicting types for `random'
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:346: previous declaration of
> `random'

The default setup compiles DGD for NetBSD rather than Linux.
As explained in the documentation, set HOST to LINUX in the Makefile and
copy dgd/src/host/Makefile.sysv to dgd/src/host/Makefile.