[DGD]Patches

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Wed Apr 12 08:38:26 CEST 2000

 > hmm the ansi color patch for host.h looks odd. This is what the patch says
 > to do, put
 >
 > ... PATCH SNIPPED ...
 >
 > When I view it in Borland C++ it color codes everything green before I
 > change anything. When I replace it with the patch, the + in front of + #
 > define ESC  '\033' breaks the color code and turns red. normally its in
 > green, but the + is in red, and everything else is in black and blue.

A patch is not a piece of replacement code, it's an instruction for how
to modify the original code. The patch should be fed to some program that
knows what to do with it, such as the Unix 'patch' command. I don't know
what you would use on Windows.

Luckily, your patch is incredibly trivial; the + just means you should add
that line to that file at that place. You can do it manually. Deleting the
+ and replacing the file will work equally well.

You'll run into more trouble for more complex patches, though -- they can
be very long. Maybe somebody else knows if Borland's tools has some patch
acceptance mechanism.

Par