[DGD]DGD HTML?

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue May 16 07:46:08 CEST 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Gregory D Lewis wrote:
> The binary port.  You'd then have to implement some version of HTTP for that
> port.

Shouldn't be hard, though, right? HTTP is pretty simple; first
some text comes in (file name and form results) and then some
other text goes back out (HTML code).

>  I'd actually consider using several ports.  One port speaking HTTP for
> the view and another port for chatting and so forth that you could display
> via a Java Applet.

Me no grok Java  :)  Single port will be complex enough for me
for now, though I agree with the general idea that such a thing
Would Be Nice. Though, if you're writing applets, that's not
so different from writing your own client, philosophically
(there are, of course, some practical differences....)

> You either announce people entering and leaving on the
> "chat" side of things or you'd have to do some form of server side push to
> update the graphics (you might need this for vision effects such as light and
> darkness too).

Or you redesign the game so that it's not a fantasy-adventure
and doesn't need that sort of thing anymore. (Though any time
a player needs to be notified of another player's actions,
you do need some kind of push technology... hm.)

Stephen Schmidt

It is vain to expect a well-balanced government without a
well-balanced society.
			-- Gideon Welles