[DGD]ansi again (sorry Erwin)

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Sep 18 20:20:58 CEST 2000

 > Am I missing something crucial here?  Probably, but it seems to me that an
 > ANSI terminal should read ansi codes from anywhere.  Is it that DGD ignores
 > the escape code altogether, or something else?  I'm slightly confused...

DGD does indeed filter escape sequences out on purpose. I believe Dworkin
considers them annoying on the verge of a security threat. There are three
options,

 A) Take the hint and don't use ANSI, which is indeed damn annoying,
 B) Don't use 'telnet' mode for the socket but 'tcp' (raw) and write
    your own telnet protocol handler in LPC. It could be argued that
    the driver shouldn't implement such a high-level function anyway
    and frankly, apart from the echo hack for when the user enters a
    password, the whole telnet protocol is kind of pointless anyway.
 C) The easiest; go find this piece of code in comm.c:

	    } else if ((*p & 0x7f) < ' ' && *p != HT && *p != BEL && *p != BS) {
		/*
		 * illegal character
		 */
		p++;
		--len;
		continue;
	    }

    and add *p != '\033' in the list of exceptions in that if statement.
    For 1.1.97 this code is at line 298.

 > Thanks, and sorry erwin (I think it was you) for bringing up a subject that
 > you attacked with such ferocity again :P.

Don't mind Erwin, he gets crabby. :)

Zell