[DGD] Mudlibs

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Aug 14 17:11:01 CEST 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Nico Lammers wrote:
> Melville's lib is less complex, but lacks security (also in my opinion)

Well, it has -a- security system, just a rather simple one. I have
no doubt that a clever cracker can penetrate it. Then again, I have
the same view about pretty much every mudlib out there. It's only a
question of how much cleverness is required.

Most of the cases I know of where a cracker broke a mudlib's
security occurred not because the security system was flawed,
but because the mud administrator didn't understand the system
and created a hole. For that reason, I think simple security
systems which are easy to install and maintain, even though
relatively easily subverted, are better than complex security
systems which, though difficult to crack, are also difficult
for a non-educated administrator to set up correctly.

I should note that if you don't have the 0.9.1 security patch,
then Melville has some problems. If you need the patch, mail me
and I'll get it out. A new mudlib tar/gzip with the changes is
on my to-do list but not near the top.

> and is poorly structured, I think.

First time I've heard that comment, though that doesn't make
it wrong :)  Can you give some details?

Thanks, Steve