[DGD] Problems With Melville

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Mon Dec 3 16:45:27 CET 2001

David Jackson writes:

 > Has anyone done much with Melville?  I am currently in the process of
 > re-working Melville into a full blown mud, and there are a number of
 > problems...

Good luck! And yes, the author is on this list.

 > #1) The parser is over-simplistic.  This is easy to fix, I just can't
 > imagine why they didn't do it better in the first place.

Presumably they lacked your native intelligence and drive.

 > #2) I never got soul commands to work ... period.  And ended up having to
 > re-write the entire soul daemon from scratch.

So that's not really a problem, then.

 > #3) Equipment saving on quit.  This should have been a switch.  Does anyone
 > have any elegant solutions?

Yes. Persistence. Read up on the fundamentals of DGD. Then implement
a 'switch' for it and share your code.

 > #4) The editor.  Is there any source out there for a better text editor?

The editor is pretty close to perfect for what it is meant to do.
What does 'better' mean to you? For anything like 'vi' or 'emacs'
you have to go into telnet character mode.

 > Your thoughts and input would be highly appreciated...

It's always annoying when somebody's first post spends all its time
bitching arrogantly about the quality of what's already been done by
volunteers, but I also really want to see more mudlibs out there, so
once you ask any questions of substance I'll try my best to respond.

Zell