[DGD] Problems With Melville

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Dec 4 00:30:22 CET 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, J Child wrote:
> > #3) Equipment saving on quit.  This should have been
> > a switch.  Does anyone have any elegant solutions?

> Hrmm. This could be done in a number of ways. I am not
> to this point yet. Take a look at H7, it has eq saving...

Does it save the entire state (variable values) of the
object or just the file name? If it saves only the file
name (fairly typical solution) then when the player logs
back in, the object is there but any customization that
the object has received is lost. If, say, the sword had
been enchanted, it won't be when he returns.

Better is to use DGD's persistence feature to transfer
the items to some inaccessible room and leave them there
until the player returns, although you probably want to
have some provision for the objects to leak back into the
game world if the player is gone too long. (Pity if that
player with the level 20 fighter character took that unique
"Sword of Powerful Brain Splattering", logged out, and
never came back.)

Steve