[DGD]New mudlibs

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Jan 18 19:12:29 CET 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, John West McKenna wrote:
> The mudlib is the problem.  There doesn't seem to be very many of them
> around, and none (that I know of) that really show off what DGD can do.
> There's Melville, and 2.4.5 which you really don't want to use....
> Is anyone out there interested in writing one?

I'd be curious to know: What kind of mudlib do people think
we need?

We don't need a simple, barebones lib; we have one of those
already. We don't need a clunky fantasy-adventure mud-in-a-box;
we have one of those already.

I can see several directions to take:

1) We could use a complicated but barebones lib that would
take advantage of DGD's powerful features in ways that
Melville doesn't do.

2) We could use a less clunky, more modern fantasy-adventure
mud-in-a-box lib that would be better than the 2.4.5 lib, and
would compete with Nightmare and TMI-2 and that sort of thing.

3) We could use a new and improved fantasy-adventure mudlib
that would meld old LP-3 style code with powerful DGD features.
Some amount of redesign of game concepts would probably need
to occur.

4) We could use a Web-ified or Java-ified mud concept, which
would reach audiences that telnet doesn't reach.

5) We could use something totally brand-new and out of the
box, a type of multi-user game that's never been written
before.

6) We could use something that isn't a game at all, of
various vague forms.

What would people love to see someone else produce?

My personal take is that fantasy-adventure telnet games
are kinda dead. I'd like to see something in the direction
of using HTML, and something that would move away from
the usual AD&D format. The former, I think, is vital
to getting any use out of a new lib. The latter is only
a personal preference, and maybe a bad choice as demand
for AD&D type games seems to be as high as ever.

I imagine other people have different ideas....?

Steve