[DGD]Re: Foreach and anonymous functions in DGD

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Jan 31 17:04:42 CET 2001

Lee Randolph Salzman <lsalzman+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> So, would it be possible to have these changes merged into DGD (pending testing
> and such)? I am attempting to work on a mud with DGD (as opposed to MudOS) and I
> hesitate to so without these features, which is why I added them in the first place. :)

DGD is not open source in the ordinary sense.  The availability of new
code, and a consensus that the features added by this code are desirable,
are not sufficient to have that code included into the main source.
What you have to do is convince <me>.  Generally, you may assume that
if I thought a feature desirable, I would have implemented it myself. :)

I think that my long-standing opposition to anonymous functions in LPC
requires no further elucidation.  I am more doubtful about foreach().
While no doubt useful, it is the addition of just that type of feature
which has made languages like Perl and C++ such a mess.

Even if your patches do not become part of DGD proper, they can still
be useful to yourself (and to other people), so I suggest that you
keep them available as an add-on package.  They can also point out
state-of-the-code issues -- I should probably check if my original
reasons for inlining the memory chunk code everywhere are still
valid.