[DGD]New list reader -- questions

Noah Lee Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Sun Jun 10 21:08:03 CEST 2001

  Hi.  I've just finished reading through about 3/4 of the posted list
archives -- all but most of the year 2000 so far.  I've got some
questions, some of which may have been answered post-april this year or
some time in 2000...  Bear with me :-)
  I'm pretty familiar with DikuMUDs and to a lesser extent MUSHes.  I've
also played with a couple of less-common MUDs like ScryMUD and put
together very simple servers on my own.  I'm just getting started
converting my homebrew driver into a MUDLib on top of DGD's Kernel
lib.  I've got lots of C experience, and almost no LPC experience.  I've
got plenty of questions, mainly about LPC and kfuns, but I'll start with
simple stuff first...
  Have any new MUD libs been introduced since april for DGD?  If I'm
starting out, are my choices pretty much just 2.4.5, Melville and the
Kernel lib?  If so then I'm planning to use Kernel now that I've looked at
the code for all three.
  I've pretty much figured out Programs, Clones, Issues and Inheritance,
but I don't yet get Threads.  How do you tell when a Thread starts
and stops execution?  And what's the thing I've heard mentioned with
arrays being copied when a Thread stops execution?

  Thanks for your help.  I'll keep reading the archives.  DGD rocks!