[DGD]mudlib features

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Fri Mar 9 04:48:22 CET 2001

First, the subject matter, then my contribution to the flamefest.

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Erwin Harte wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:27:07PM -0600, Michael J. Bacon wrote:
> > 	A distributed simulation is very simple and easy for the end user to
> > understand, eh?  He said "understand", not "program".

I'll think about it, but my inclination is with Erwin; I don't
think a distributed simulation can be "easy" in the sense in which
Melville uses the word. It involves creating a protocol for
transferring objects from one machine to another, which would
involve some at least moderately complicated port operations
(even if one used the telnet port, and I'm not sure one would,
still one would have to figure out whether the incoming
connection was a player or a transfer request) and frankly,
that might be beyond -my- ability, which is not all that great,
being one of those "'non-computer scientists' that play with LPC
and/or DGD but don't have a formal education in the field." (OK,
I have a -little- bit - I took three CS courses in college. But
two were in Pascal programming so it's not like they count. ;)

That said, I might tackle it anyway because it would be so
extremely cool to have. Is there someone with more technical
skill than me that might be interesting in pitching in?

> > >By the way, what is with all the odd quoting habits all of a sudden,
> > >can't you people (a) only quote what is relevant and (b) reply below
> > >that which you are responding to?

> > 	Well, you see, I come from a free country where we can compose
> > emails any particular way we want.

Yes, and Erwin comes from a free country where he can flame your
pathetic tuchus any way he wants to. As do I. You're free to go
down to your local church (or other place of worship) and jump
up on the altar in the middle of Mass and moon the audience, but
if you do it, it makes you a jerk. There are rules of polite
behavior, and that's against them. Similarly, on the Internet,
there are rules of polite behavior, and they are what Erwin
notes - quote only what's relevant, and reply below what you
are responding to. You are free not to do it, and we are free
to observe that you're a jerk if you don't.

Here's a penny. Get a life.

   ____
  /    \
 /      \