[DGD] getting a lib working

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Wed Jul 17 03:39:11 CEST 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Gerald Bergan wrote:
> I've installed 1.2.47 recently and am having trouble getting a lib to
> work with it....  I've tried both the
> latest melville and phantasmal libs but I get the same error for both
> of them:
> Compilation within compilation
> Compilation within compilation
> Config error: initialization failed

This is the first I've heard of this problem. It may be an
incompatibility problem between a relatively new driver
version and old libs - I have not run Melville on anything
later than 1.2. I haven't heard of anything being introduced
into the driver that would break back-compatibility, but
I don't pay real careful attention.

I suspect it's more likely that the driver didn't compile
correctly, but could not make any guesses about how that
might have happened. Offhand I'd suggest checking to make
sure you have correctly told DGD which system you are using,
although I suggest that mostly because it will only take about
ten seconds to verify that that's not the problem.

I don't think the path name is the problem, since you obviously
are reaching the libs - you'd get a much more primitive error
if that was the case, "file not found" if it found no file, or
some kind of syntax error if it was finding a file not part
of the mudlibs.

Steve Schmidt