[DGD] Question about swap file (maybe)

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 31 03:58:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:38:25PM -0400, Jay Shaffstall wrote:
> I had an error during a live test of my mudlib today, and am trying to
> track down what it's telling me.  The error was something like "Out of
> sectors" (Unfortunately, I didn't get the exact message written down), and
> the server stopped running.
>
> What is this trying to tell me?  Do I have the swap_size set too small in
> my config file?  Do I have a memory leak somewhere?

Both of these could be the cause of your problem.  If you have code in
your mud which occasionally (or worse: frequently) creates (clones)
objects which are never again used and noone 'knows' they are there,
you will eventually run out of room in the swap file.  You'll want to
look at creators with unusually numbers of objects compiled/cloned and
narrow it down from there.

If you run out of room shortly upon firing up your mudlib, it is more
likely that all your code + initial clones combined are simply too
much to fit.  Increase the size of your swap file and try again.

> Is there a way to know how big you should make your swap file based on how
> many objects you have in the mud?

Minimally one data sector per initialized object (clones and
initialized standalone objects) and one code sector for each piece of
compiled code.  Clones don't take up extra code sectors, just data
sectors.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--