[DGD] Echoing user input

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jun 25 23:49:05 CEST 2002

Jay Shaffstall <jshaffst at netwalk.com> wrote:

> There's probably something really basic I'm doing incorrectly, but I
> haven't been able to puzzle it out myself.  I'm trying to use the
> send_message (int) call to turn echoing of user input on and off.  I'm
> basically using the kernel connection and telnet objects, but in a
> non-kernel mudlib.
>
> I've verified that send_message is called with the appropriate values (0
> for turning echo off, 1 for turning echo on).  It's being called from the
> telnet object.  A global search shows no other places where send_message is
> called with an int parameter.
>
> Based on my understanding of things, that should cause the next line of
> text the user inputs to be either echoed or not, depending on the value
> passed to send_message.  What I'm seeing, though, is that nothing gets
> echoed, regardless.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Perhaps you are the telnet client that is included with Windows?  This
program ignores the echoing hints from the server, and you can only
turn local echo on or off through a menu command.

Otherwise, DGD explicitly turns echoing on as soon as a connection is
opened, so you may be sure that at least the command to turn echoing off
is being obeyed.