[DGD] mudlib

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Thu May 2 00:07:51 CEST 2002

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Alex Swavely wrote:
> I wasn't able to tell from the documents whether the Phantasmal
> implementation would allow for "standard" coded rooms and objects, or if
> they needed to be in the "buildertool" (whatever) format...

  Ah!  You mean rooms coded in LPC.  You can do that, but you can't easily
put them into the existing room file (note that there should really be
more than one file, but at the moment I just hardcode loading the one --
this is easy to change).  If you want them to be "pure code" with no
supporting UNQ file, or just one of phrases, that's pretty
straightforward.  The "buildertool" format is actually the format that
normally all rooms are stored in except those that, like The Void, are
instantiated when /usr/System/initd is created.

> Personally I'm a hardcore LPCer from before MudOS and it'd be more
> comfortable for me to hand hack my rooms and objects, but my inexperienced
> wizards (I am getting them from a hardcore RPG background)  would
> certainly like your tool.

In addition to being able to use command-line OLC, it's possible to create
objects in the form of an UNQ file and use the @load_objects command to
import them into the game.  You'll have to either assign them unused room
numbers or let the MUD autoassign them, though.  There's not (yet) a good
way to say "all these unnumbered rooms are in the same zone".

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!