[DGD] Melville 0.9

Alex Swavely mud at swavely.net
Thu May 2 21:46:27 CEST 2002

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
[...]
> Question for the audience. compile_object(), which is the kfun
> that the update command invokes, replaces the code of an existing
> (master) object, but keeps the data the same insofar as the
> variables are the same in both the old and the new versions.
>
> Would it make sense to have a "recreate" command in a mud which
> would destroy the object (blowing the data away), compile the
> new version, and then invoke create() in the new object? Or
> would create() get invoked automatically when the object was
> loaded de novo?

Funny.  I was just putting up the room-exit-description fix for my
Melville version and trying to edit rooms to test it when I ran across
this...  The new room would have the old exits inplace...

Personally I'm used to the "update" command calling create() on the object
I was reloading so that I could look at all the new variables..  (ex
TMIer)