[DGD] Mexican Characters

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Fri Nov 1 22:42:29 CET 2002

Lord Lerkista <lerkista at planetatierra.net> wrote:

> When in a Mud i type the n-tilde character in a Unix-like terminal i
> get a "q" as output,
> It's something of the telnet protocol that uses DGD??

It's because you are using a Mac.  DGD uses line mode for telnet clients,
and binary mode is not well-defined for line mode in the telnet protocol.
DGD uses a hack to enable it on many clients, but apparently it fails on
the Mac.

I am not planning any changes in DGD's telnet support, since even minor
changes are bound to break clients on some other platform.  Instead I am
thinking about a standard protocol for a new mud client, a version of
which I will probably release in Java.  Oh, and it will connect to the
binary port, with the protocol level on the server side handled by LPC.