[DGD] Atomics

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Oct 22 05:30:38 CEST 2002

> I am trying to use atomic_error() to log the portion
> of the stack trace which occur within an atomic
> function.  Unfortunately, atomic_error() also seems to
> be called from within an atomic function, which means
> I can't write to a log file from within this function,
> I can't set any variables to indicate to a future
> function what I want logged (the variables get rolled
> back when the atomic exits), and I can't callout to
> write to the log file within the atomic (because the
> callout will be removed when the atomic exits).

Right. I believe the idea is that atomic really does roll back all
state, and if you want to trick it you have to go slightly out of your
way to do it.

> Is there any way I can write data from atomic_error()
> to a log, or do I have to use DRIVER->message() to
> write it to stderr?

We make use of the fact that the string sent to error() actually does
survive the atomic rollback. We catch runtime errors, package up the
data we want to survive the rollback as ASCII, and stuff it into the
string. Then we rethrow this string with error(). The atomic rollback
occurs, but runtime_error() recognizes the specially formated error
string, unpacks the data, and happily exports it to functions that want
to dig into it.

It can really give you a headache, though.

Zell