[DGD] melville with dgd for win binary

Albert Deinbeck albert-deinbeck at albert-deinbeck.de
Fri Oct 25 14:47:52 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Schmidt" <schmidsj at union.edu>
To: <dgd at list.imaginary.com>
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 1:39 AM
Subject: Re: [DGD] melville with dgd for win binary

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Albert Deinbeck wrote:
> > Now I get a lot of error messages. Seems melville 0.9.1 isn't really
built
> > for dgd 1.2. But now I got the means to fix it.
>
> Has anyone else had similar error messages with Melville 0.9.1
> and DGD 1.2? I have not heard of problems with them in the past;
> I would have said that Melville 0.9.1 was compatible with DGD 1.2.
> Are these errors problems with Melville, or perhaps problems with
> the driver on Windows, or perhaps something else? I am running
> Melville 0.9.1 on DGD 1.2 (not on Windows) and have never had
> problems with it.
>
> That said, if it is a Melville problem I'll work on a patch, but
> my guess is that it's not.

OK, I'll give you a short chronology of my problems with melville 0.9.1:
- Downloaded and installed DGD1.2p2 from dwarfin's site. Running ok with his
own mudlib.
- Downloaded melville 0.9.1 and unzipped into DGD's folder. Consulted README
Problem 1: There is no "Melvmud" config file. So I try to use
- mud.dgd with root dir changed -> melville.dgd
- Melvmud from melville 0.8
Results:
- Melvmud:
Config error, line 23: unknown option
-> line 23: value_stack = 950;   /* value stack */
- melville.dgd:
/system/driver.c, 85: returned value doesn't match string (int)
Error within runtime_error:
Compilation within compilation
Compilation within compilation
Config error: initialization failed
-> driver.c line 85:
string path_read(string path) {
    if (!previous_object()->valid_read(path)) return 0 ;  <= obviously
doesn't return a string
    return path ;
}

I tried to replace the return 0 with return "" but many other errors of that
kind came, making me wonder if this release of melville is complete or ready
for release.
Can you tell me what's going on?

Albert