[DGD] Network Package for DGD 1.2 released

Michael Bergbauer dgd at noname.franken.de
Mon Apr 21 13:47:42 CEST 2003

Hi everyone

Finally I managed to do all the tests I could think of to eliminate
hopefully most of the bugs in the Network Package for DGD 1.2.

It's availabe as a patch for DGD 1.2p3  and DGD 1.2.58 at
ftp://noname.franken.de/pub/dgd

I'm very sorry, but all I have here are some linux machines. I only was
able to create the patch for unix platforms so far.

It supports
-opening TCP sockets in LISTEN state (listening port)
-connect TCP sockets to other servers
-two TCP modes (telnet/binary)
-UDP sockets

All network output operations can be used in atomic functions, and hence
can be undone. Each of these sockets is bound to one LPC object, and UDP
connections are idependant from TCP connections.

To use it, simply patch your driver, and recompile it, with
NETWORK_PACKAGE defined. This will disable parts of the original network
code, and activates the network code.

On startup of the patched mudlib, a telnet port is opened on port 6047,
and to distinguish between the two modes, a preprocessor-define for
__NETWORK_PACKAGE__ is set for the lpc compiler in DGD.

This Version of the network package is coded completly from scratch
though I used the Network Package for DGD 1.1, which was created and
maintained by Richard Braakman, Erwin Harte and Neil McBride. Thanks for
your work, I wouldn't have succeeded without it.

Any questions, suggestions, bug fixed and bug reports are welcome,
(please send them to dgd-network at noname.franken.de) and if someone
wants to add support for the other platsforms, please contact me. It
shouldn't be hard if you have some knowledge about TCP/IP network
programming, but without being able to test it, I can't do it myself.

--
Michael Bergbauer <michael at noname.franken.de>
use your idle CPU cycles - See http://www.distributed.net for details.