[DGD] Sourceforge

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 04:40:19 CEST 2003

--- Ben Chambers <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> How has it worked out?  Have any
> advice/suggestions?

  Guess I didn't hit these.

  SourceForge has worked out really well for me.  I
reinstall or otherwise screw up my home machine pretty
regularly, and their CVS servers are probably
available 98% of the time when I look.  That's amply
good enough to act as my main source repository since
I keep a full mirror locally (mandatory in CVS,
basically), and in the (rare) cases where they're down
for a bit, the rest of the world can wait an extra
hour or two for my latest feature.
  I *do* wish I could use BitKeeper instead of CVS,
but that's a pretty small sacrifice in the grand
scheme of things.

  SourceForge is also a great way to attract
developers and generally get publicity if you do it
right.  I don't think Phantasmal would have gotten
nearly as much attention if it were only advertised on
the DGD mailing list.  For that to work well, though,
you'll need to keep a lot of information available and
a lot of stuff up-to-date.  "Casual" developers don't
tend to like dealing with projects documented the way
bad ones are on SourceForge.  If you're looking for an
example of a good project for new developers, I
recommend checking out CrystalSpace.  They do a lot of
things right to attract, train and retain developers.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com