[DGD] newbie questions

Gary muphicks at mups.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 15:12:51 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Gill" <ggill at vci.net>
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to setting up a mud. I primarily want to use it to learn
some c
> coding. My programming background includes visual basic, java,
javascript,
> vbscript, and html.

I don't think using DGD + any of the mudlibs will help you learn C
coding
as all the mudlibs written for DGD are written in a language called
LPC.
Which although C like in some ways is still very different in others.

Other muds such as Smaug are written entirly in C/C++, I think smaug
is C++ but there are others written in C.

If you already have a programming based background then picking up
a new language such as C should not be too difficult. Grab a book
or lookup several tutorials.

However all that said, if you still want to make a mud even if though
its not going to be a C based mud, then DGD is IMHO the best place
to start from.

>I have downloaded DGD1.2p3 and Melville0.9.1 as the lib. I
> choose melville because the code is extremely well documented. I
have gotten
> it to compile and can telnet into it. I thought I might start with
something
> simple, like modifying how the who list is shown. Right now,
melville's who
> list displays like this:
>
> The following players are logged into your mud
> name, name2
>
> What I would like to do is make it display like this,
>
> The following players are logged into your mud
> name
> name2

As Steven has already noted you will need to take into account a large
number of users and have a paging based display.
[snip]

> Also, if you think there is a different lib I should be using for
this
> endeavor, any ideas would be appreciated. Go easy on me, I know
these are
> probably questions asked everyday.

There are many libs available for DGD, Melville was the first I
checked
out, however I'm now playing around with the phantasmal mudlib.
The majority of mudlibs are still very early in development and would
not allow you to really setup a mud quickly. Aside from the LP port
but people say that its code is a mess :P

For more information check out noahs mudlib comparisons for DGD
on phantasmal.sourceforge.net

If you really want to get your hands dirty, check out a variety of
mudlibs
and then start from scratch with kernal mudlib. Not an easy task as
I've
found out :P Which is why I'm sticking with phantasmal for now, at
least
while its road map is still along similar lines as what I'd like in a
mud :)

Hope that helps you out a little.

Gary.