[DGD] DGD & Simulations

Alex mud at swavely.net
Mon Feb 3 11:21:30 CET 2003

> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:31:32PM -0800, Dannic wrote:
> [...]
>> Why do that when popular clients that quite a few
>> mudders use has this built into the client.
> [...]
> Possible reasons: Licencing for commercial use might be troublesome,
> platforms supported might be insufficient (some people actually like
> having an almost-platform-independent solution like Java), install
> procedure and potential complications thereof (a.k.a. DLL hell).

Another possibility for excluding "standard" clients (my situation) -
Having your server mounted behind a firewall which only allows incoming
traffic over smtp, http, and ssh ports.
You can set up a "dynamic webpage" type client, or you can set up a
forwarded "shell" account (which only forwards to the local mud telnet
port), either through their favorite ssh client, or through a web applet
like (http://javassh.org/).