[DGD] Specific code-license question, DGD server

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Thu Feb 27 00:50:57 CET 2003

  Felix, this is primarily for you since you own the DGD code and rights.

  If we were to take specific bits of code from the DGD server and modify
them, they'd still be licensed in the same way (I assume), so they'd be
freely noncommercially usable, and licenseable for a significant extra fee
from you or Skotos.  So far, so good.

  If they were used in a slightly different context, specifically in a DGD
MUDLib rather than in a server, they'd still require DGD for use.  So
that's no problem by itself since any commercial user of the MUDLib
would already need to have a commercial DGD license, so they'd be
authorized to use that code.  But then the MUDLib needs to be licensed in
some way to avoid using that code without DGD -- Joe Random Hacker
couldn't port it to an OpenSource MUD server because that would
allow use of DGD code commercially without Felix being paid.  That would
be a no-no.  So the whole MUDLib will need to be licensed to avoid that
situation.

  So basically, the MUDLib would need to either require a DGD commercial
license for commercial use, or it would need to prevent commercial use in
non-DGD environments.  It could be more restrictive but it couldn't be
*less* restrictive.

  The reason I bring this up is that I was considering writing a telnet
handler in LPC.  The handler would make it possible to have something that
acted like a telnet port but using a DGD binary port.  That's useful
because you could then modify the code and handle more telnet options, or
ANSI color, or international characters, all with an unmodified DGD
server and without giving up telnet options.

  But if I were to do that in Phantasmal and start with DGD's server code
as a base, I'd need to relicense the MUDLib.  Phantasmal is currently
public domain.

  Felix, you're the author.  Does all this reasoning sound correct to you?

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!