[DGD] Heartbeat

Jamin Vander Berg jaminv at softhome.net
Tue Jan 14 11:19:09 CET 2003

Alas, it has gotten to the point where I have items, rooms, players, weapons, and even ammunition. And I can't truly test the weapon part out until I've got, at the very least, the frame work of a combat system laid down. So... here's the question:

Any recommendations or things I should know about (but apparently can't find) about setting up a timer/heartbeat, or anything similar, for purposes of combat.

I understand combat is a pretty broad and complicated thing. In generally, however, combat does not insue as a series of responses to two living objects hitting each other, all happening instantly. Of course, the combat system should give a second or two for the player to rattle off some commands, maybe run, maybe heal, whatever. I suppose its possible (and relatively easy) to just wait for a certain time before executing the next action, but that'd have to run as another thread so commands could still be parsed.

I'm looking for any general ideas/concepts/suggestions for starting up such a system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--jaminv