[DGD] DGD kernel mudlib

Joshua P. Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Fri Mar 14 16:31:44 CET 2003

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 06:50  AM, <Daniel.Sloan at vu.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi everyone, I've recently started to get involved in DGD, when
> I realised the driver my mud currently uses falls far short of
> providing for the things I want to do.

That's generally how people end up here.  ;)

> Question about the kernel mudlib, specifically: /kernel/sys/userd.c
> Is there any reason that each port should have a seperate telnet or
> binary manager object?  Currently it seems easier since the functions

I can only speak for my own personal preference (whereas Dworkin's
personal preference is what dictates kernel mudlib implementations),
but I would suggest that using a separate object daemon for each port
should be preferred over the alternative based on the KISS principle.
The driver object already needs to do precisely the sort of
multiplexing you're talking about; handling it there and getting it
over with would have its advantages.  8)

--
Joshua P. Dady <jpd at indecisive.com>