[DGD] DGD kernel mudlib

Noah Gibbs angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
Fri Mar 14 18:18:49 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 Daniel.Sloan at vu.edu.au wrote:
> Question about the kernel mudlib, specifically: /kernel/sys/userd.c
> Is there any reason that each port should have a seperate telnet or
> binary manager object?

  It's kind of a hack, but you could always register separate objects and
just use them to trivially wrap calls to another manager.  Basically, make
little adapter objects to get the interface you want.  I know that's not
the answer you're looking for, but I suspect the efficiency wouldn't be a
problem and I don't think there'd be any other serious issue.

  The alternatives involve modifying the Kernel lib, and you don't want to
do that.  If you do it gets harder to apply patches and stay up to date,
plus your lib won't work for other people without modification.

> Also - along time ago, there was list talk of a DGD code/etc repository
> and so on.  It seems to have died - true? If so, anyone know if there
> was a specific reason it never happened (given that ppl seemed keen at
> the time)?

  There's a project for that on SourceForge, actually.  It's maintained by
Neil McBride (sarak).  It appears never to have really gotten started,
though.
"http://www.sf.net/projects/dgdrepository"

  My guess as to why:  how would you start such a repository?  There's
already my page, which lists almost all the code that's gone across the
list.  You're not going to write new specific code just for the repository
-- why would you?  And the amount of code involved is small enough that
you don't need anything fancy to categorize it.  I just use a simple list
on my page and it's enough.  There's not enough to need a serious search
engine.

  But if there are specific features of such a repository (not just more
code) that you want, request it -- maybe Neil or I will provide them, or
maybe somebody else will step up to do so.

  The code on my page is available at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/DGD_LPC_Ref.html" under the "Code
Examples" heading.

angelbob at monkeyspeak.com
See my page of DGD documentation at
"http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/"
If you post to the DGD list, you may see yourself there!