[DGD] Kernel Lib security and APIs

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 23:40:16 CET 2003

  I was starting to think I had this stuff figured
out, but then...  :-)

  Okay, so:  when building a MUDLib on top of the
Kernel Library, I put the stuff that interfaces with
the Kernel into /usr/System, as well as anything that
needs a lot of privilege.  Anything I *can* remove
from /usr/System, I *do* remove from /usr/System to
avoid security problems.

  I've got a /usr/common where I put game-related
stuff to keep track of mobiles and rooms, call things
periodically, etc.  This is essentially a standard
library to be used with various games.

  I've got a /usr/game where the stuff specific to a
given game is.  For instance, if I wanted to do a Sci
Fi MUD, this is where I'd put the room descriptions,
the scripts, the specific AIs, and everything that is
specific to that individual theme and that individual
game.

  I like this in concept.  It's working for me.
However, I have a couple of questions about how to
make it work properly with Kernel Library security.

  I'd like to keep (for instance) room files somewhere
under /usr/game, and then pass the filename to a
routine in /usr/common.  The routine in /usr/common
would open and parse the file and put the rooms in
their appropriate places.  It would read script names
out of the file and call those scripts.  The scripts
exist in one or more other files in /usr/game.

  There's a problem with this -- there's no way that I
can see to get an object under /usr/common to read a
file under /usr/game without using a globally-readable
directory.  I tried giving the "common" user full read
access to /usr/game, but it made no difference.

  I'd like not to have all game files be
world-readable.  However, I'd also like to have my
standard library mostly exist outside of /usr/System.
Do I need to read the file contents in /usr/game and
pass the whole file's contents into /usr/common?

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com