[DGD] Re: DGD-Fishing

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Mon Apr 5 03:23:23 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 01:34:52AM +0200, Ragnar Lonn wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Felix A. Croes wrote:
>
> > Replication of objects can be managed without DGD hacks.  Here is an
> > outline of how I would do it:
> >
> > To completely replicate an object you must have its source code, a list
> > of objects it inherits from, a list of the variables it declares, and a
> > way to query and set those variables.
>
> But that means that all objects must implement a method of querying all
> their internal variables?  Hmm, I guess it could be done automatically
> through parsing code and adding query-methods before the code is loaded.

That's what Dworkin described further on in his reply, I think.

> I'd have to keep track of call_outs too. But you're right, it should
> work. Thanks :)

You can use status(obj)[O_CALLOUTS] to get all relevant call_out()
data, so tracking that may not be strictly necessary.

[...]
> While I'm at it I might aswell ask about state dumps also. Are they
> as optimised as can be?  Is it or would it be possible to somehow create
> state dumps without the noticeable pause of the game?

If you use the dump_interval parameter in the DGD configuration file
then DGD can spread out the swap device rebuilding over that period
and be 99% ready for the statedump, making the pause is a few seconds
at the most.

The dump_interval parameter is a relatively recent addition, somewhere
around in the 1.2.71 release.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--