[DGD] Re: DGD-Fishing

Ragnar Lonn prl at gatorhole.se
Mon Apr 5 11:58:13 CEST 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Erwin Harte wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 01:34:52AM +0200, Ragnar Lonn wrote:
> >
> > But that means that all objects must implement a method of querying all
> > their internal variables?  Hmm, I guess it could be done automatically
> > through parsing code and adding query-methods before the code is loaded.
>
> That's what Dworkin described further on in his reply, I think.

Sorry, sometimes I write while thinking.
Welcome to the department of redundancy department ;)

> > I'd have to keep track of call_outs too. But you're right, it should
> > work. Thanks :)
>
> You can use status(obj)[O_CALLOUTS] to get all relevant call_out()
> data, so tracking that may not be strictly necessary.

Aha, thanks.

> > While I'm at it I might aswell ask about state dumps also. Are they
> > as optimised as can be?  Is it or would it be possible to somehow create
> > state dumps without the noticeable pause of the game?
>
> If you use the dump_interval parameter in the DGD configuration file
> then DGD can spread out the swap device rebuilding over that period
> and be 99% ready for the statedump, making the pause is a few seconds
> at the most.

And those few seconds are unavoidable?  If one wants to build a system
that never pauses, never goes down, one needs to be able to perform
continuous backups to a second driver instance that can do failover
in case something goes wrong. That's my reason for asking.

> Hope that helps,

Definitely, thanks!

  /Ragnar