[DGD] DGD-Fishing

Ragnar Lonn prl at gatorhole.se
Tue Apr 6 13:06:31 CEST 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Felix A. Croes wrote:

> Ragnar Lonn <prl at gatorhole.se> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, but what if I e.g. wanted to stream server state changes to another
> > DGD instance, effectively keeping a copy of the game state?  That would
> > be trickier, wouldn't it?   (perhaps not just tricky in the sense that
> > it'd involve driver modification)
>
> It would be tricky in the sense that you would have to keep track of which
> objects were modified at some point, but there are several ways to handle
> that in LPC as well, especially given that you'd already be modifying the
> source code for compiled objects.

You're right of course. I was just a little worried about performance but
maybe that's not a problem. I'll have to do some experimentation. Thanks
:)

> > While I'm at it I might aswell ask about state dumps also. Are they
> > as optimised as can be?  Is it or would it be possible to somehow create
> > state dumps without the noticeable pause of the game?
>
> How long is noticable?

Hmm, I'd say around 0.5 seconds and the state dump wouldn't be easily
noticeable by the players in an MMORPG-style game.

But in my own case streaming state changes to another DGD instance might
mean I don't have to do state dumps, or that I can do them on the backup
DGD instance and not bother players with the lag. I was just curious as
to whether it was possible to speed them up in case the streaming thing
wouldn't work as hoped.

Regards,

  /Ragnar