[DGD] yet another object manager question.. or two

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 18:39:14 CEST 2004

  Your object manager stuff sounds good, at least as a quick sketched
outline.  There are a few issues you haven't mentioned (no surprise,
there are a lot of random issues).  For instance, you'll need to decide
how to populate your data structures when the ObjectD comes on-line...
Remember that several things, including the ObjectD, had to be compiled
before the ObjectD could run at all.  I believe Geir Harald Hansen has
his ObjectD hardcode some reasonable defaults and tells you to bring up
the ObjectD as quickly as it's possible to do so.  Mine recompiles
everything in an opening pass, though that still has at least one bug
in it as well, which I haven't tracked down -- each of those
inheritables winds up logging a message later when they're recompiled.
Not sure why, and it doesn't seem to cause any actual harm.  Anyway.

  And yeah, you're right -- the kernel lib will supply some very useful
information for you while you're doing this stuff.  It's a good place
to look for lists of objects.

--- Mercy <mercy at desolation.org> wrote:
> I'm curious, Noah,
> would version 0.015pre2 require more than the bug fixes, included
> from the experimental versions, in the 1.2p4 release, to run
> correctly?

  Much more.  Phantasmal has historically been good about tracking
DGD's latest features.  It uses LWOs, parse_string and
atomic_functions, none of which are included in bugfix-only versions
like 1.2p4.  So yes, you'll need to patch up to an experimental DGD
version.

  I should have Phantasmal explicitly check for those patchlevels and
explain that rather than just failing.  But yeah, the version check
barfing is basically correct behavior here.  If somebody has to hack
the version check to get Phantasmal to work, they should expect
failures :-)

=====