[DGD] my dgd is VERY crashable

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Feb 1 17:28:06 CET 2004

"Robert Forshaw" <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using DGD 1.2p3 for windows with // patch (although I tested it without
> the patch and the problem persisted).
>
> First of all, if there is a compile error when attempting to start the MUD,
> any subsequent attempt to restart the MUD, even if the compile error has
> been rectified, will result in a crash and a Windows XP 'There has been a
> problem' window.

I have reproduced some sort of problem with my own setup just now.  I
think the problem is with restarting DGD on Windows in general, that
is, restarting the mud without restarting the entire program.  I will
look into this and release a fix.

> Also if there is a runtime error, the mud will crash the next time something
> happens (I haven't really explored what 'something happens' means exactly,
> this since I don't make a lot of runtime errors, but it usually crashes when
> I enter any further input to the mud).
>
> The main prob right now though is that when calling a prototyped function,
> the driver will quit without fail (no actual crash as far as windows is
> concerned, the DGD window just vanishes and the driver shuts down).
>
> I've uploaded driver.c and user.c to my site. I have tried running Kernel
> and it doesn't seem to have any of these problems, so it is probably
> something wrong with my code (although I think DGD should be more resilient
> to errornous mudlib code, shutting down entirely doesn't seem very
> healthy...).

You can run DGD on Windows in two different ways.  In the "manual" mode,
you run it by double-clicking on the application, then selecting a
config file and starting the mud.  Run like this, DGD will not exit
in case of a fatal error, but continue to display the last errormessages
until you explicitly quit the application.

In the "batch" mode, you start it by double-clicking on the config file
or by starting it with arguments from the command line.  In this case,
a fatal error will cause DGD to quit instantly.  This is intended for
mud restart scripts.

It looks to me as if these other problems are mudlib-related.  You may
want to mask send_message() in the driver object, and write errormessages
to file as well as to the DGD window.