[DGD] my dgd is VERY crashable

John Ruiz jruiz at johnruiz.com
Sun Feb 1 18:23:02 CET 2004

-- Robert Forshaw [iouswuoibev at hotmail.com]
> I'm using DGD 1.2p3 for windows with // patch (although I tested it
> without the patch and the problem persisted).
>
> First of all, if there is a compile error when attempting to start the
> MUD, any subsequent attempt to restart the MUD, even if the compile
> error has been rectified, will result in a crash and a Windows XP
> 'There has been a problem' window.

-- Felix A. Croes [felix at dworkin.nl]
I have reproduced some sort of problem with my own setup just now.  I think
the problem is with restarting DGD on Windows in general, that is,
restarting the mud without restarting the entire program.  I will look into
this and release a fix.

-- John Ruiz [jruiz at johnruiz.com]
While you're doing that, could you please also consider taking a look at the
windows code that gets called when you start up the DGD console via command
line and pass the config file as argument?

I muddled around in my registry and made DGD an NT Service that starts with
my config file at system boot.  When I try to start the service, the DGD
console pops up and loads my config file just fine, but it is apparently not
returning anything to Windows to let the OS know it has started successfully
and so the service manager shuts down the DGD process.  If you could have
DGD optionally return a code for Windows it would be awesome because I'd be
able to run my mud as an NT Service in the background.

John