[DGD] my dgd is VERY crashable

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Feb 1 18:35:27 CET 2004

"John Ruiz" <jruiz at johnruiz.com> wrote:

>[...]
> While you're doing that, could you please also consider taking a look at the
> windows code that gets called when you start up the DGD console via command
> line and pass the config file as argument?
>
> I muddled around in my registry and made DGD an NT Service that starts with
> my config file at system boot.  When I try to start the service, the DGD
> console pops up and loads my config file just fine, but it is apparently not
> returning anything to Windows to let the OS know it has started successfully
> and so the service manager shuts down the DGD process.  If you could have
> DGD optionally return a code for Windows it would be awesome because I'd be
> able to run my mud as an NT Service in the background.

That would involve discovering whether or not the application is run as
a service, and then sending some sort of message to the OS indicating
that everything is all right.  I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea
how to do this (yet).  I'll take a look at it sometime, but wrestling
with Windows developing documentation is not high on my list of
priorities right now.

As I recall, others have had success by using some sort of service
wrapper program, which can be used to run <any> program as a service.