[DGD] List etiquette

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 21:07:39 CET 2004

--- Billie Kennedy <dannic at orpgs.com> wrote:
> > [... he can read the list archives ...]
> Right.  But there isn't a good search tool for
> something specific.

  True, though forums tend to have the same problem.
Thread names aren't always descriptive and a lot of
the best solutions are buried in the description of
some other problem, one you wouldn't think to look
for.  It's the same problem as browsing the mailing
list by thread name, and for the same reason.

  We could use a decent search engine index of the
mailing list.  But I'm not sure how to do that.  I'm
not really a web guy, I've just learned the basics in
order to maintain the Phantasmal site.

> Maybe a forum would help.  Maybe not.

  Somebody mentioned a Wiki, which is a pretty good
idea.  Not sure who, if anybody, would contribute to
it though.  That's the problem with a small group like
this -- there are only so many potential documenters,
so the trick is to get them to write stuff and then to
organize it.  A Wiki is a little harder to check and
requires a little more effort than email, so people
usually prefer not to conduct discussions that way.

  And if it were just me and occasionally one or two
other people adding threads to the Wiki, that's not
significantly better than my current method, plus it's
somewhat harder to set up.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com