[DGD] Re: Alternatives to the Kernel model of security...

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 21:27:36 CET 2004

--- Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com> wrote:
> I think you're just afraid to try something new. :-)

  Well, I've now been informed at length why doing so
is Phantasmal's biggest flaw :-)

  It's true that WebDAV might work well.  It's
unfortunately also true that documenting the steps
people have given here for Win32 will require (at
least) one of those pages showing how to go through
the dialog boxes with all the pictures in between.
That's just as minimal documentation.  God help me if
I want to get random linux users to build and install
a kernel module.

  Yes, yes, building kernel stuff isn't hard.  How
many people do you know that have avoided it anyway,
even if it was the only reasonable way to do
something?  I know a depressingly large number, and
many (such as a fellow who programs for a major
studio) are extremely competent.

  I keep forgetting that nobody will read significant
amounts of text documentation, or do anything really
nontrivial.  I was reminded of this recently by my
first bug report with the Linux Bundled Release of
Phantasmal (Phantasmal plus a Linux DGD binary, plus
Perl scripts to configure them)...  The fellow
discovered that it didn't work on Windows.

  He's right, it doesn't.

  Sigh.

=====
------